IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Yonge, Charlotte M. (Charlotte Mary), 1823-1901, The instructive picture book, or, Lessons from the vegetable world , 1858
The instructive picture book, or, Lessons from the vegetable world / by the author of "The heir of Redclyffe" and "The herb of the field" ; illustrated with 31 colored plates ; arranged by Robert M. Stark, Fellow of The Botanical and Royal Physical Societies, Edinburgh, author of "A Popular History of British Mosses.".
- Additional Title(s):
Instructive picture book
Lessons from the vegetable world
- Edinburgh : Edmonston & Douglas, 87 Princes Street, 1858.
- Physical Description:
- 22,  p., xxxi leaves of plates : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQH46 .I57 1857+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- A continuation of: The Instructive picture book, or, Progressive lessons from the natural history of plants and animals. Edinburgh : Edmonston & Douglas, 1857, even though the present work does not state on the t.p. that it is vol. II. Cf. Osborne.
Plates on double leaves.
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous English literature (1926-62 edition), III, 162
Osborne Collection of early children's books, 1566-1910, II, 843
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 20, 659
Publisher's advertisements on paste-downs.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original illustrated boards. In case with: Instructive picture book, or, Progressive lessons from the natural history of animals and plants. Edinburgh, 1857.
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Pictorial works.Edinburgh -- Imprints -- Specimens.Edmonston & Douglas -- Publisher.Fruit -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Natural history -- Pictorial works.Vegetables -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1858.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.