Designs to illustrate Sterne's Sentimental Journey, [1812?]
- Designs to illustrate Sterne's Sentimental Journey.
- London : Publish'd by J. Wallis, Berwick Street, [1812?]
- Physical Description:
- , XII leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 23 x 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R78 D47 1812+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R78 D47 1812+ Copy 2 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Suite of 12 colored plates based on illustrations by Robert Newton, sometimes ascribed to Rowlandson. Cf. Abbey Life 250.
Cover title: Illustrations to Sterne's Journey.
Title page watermarked "1812".
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary boards, with printed title label on front cover. Copy 2 similarly bound. Bookplate: A.M. Cohn. Autograph: J. Mackenzie, 4 Widcombe Crescent, Bath.
- Yorick and Father Lorenzo -- Yorick at the Grave of Father Lorenzo -- La Fleur taking leave of his sweethearts -- La Fleur and the dead ass -- The dance at Amiens -- The wig --Yorick feeling the Grisset's pulse -- Yorick and the fille de chambre -- The Chevalier de St. Louis -- Le dimanche -- Maria entering Moulines -- The grace.
- Subject Terms:
- Cohn, Albert M. (Albert Mayer) -- Bookplate.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1812.Mackenzie, J. -- Autograph.Sterne, Laurence, 1713-1768. Sentimental journey through France and Italy -- Illustrations.Wallis, J. -- Publisher
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.