Plocacosmos, or, The whole art of hair dressing : wherein is contained, ample rules for the young artizan, more particularly for ladies women, valets, &c. &c. : as well as directions for persons to dress their own hair ... / by James Stewart. With an elegant frontispiece, and other copper-plates.
- Additional Title(s):
Whole art of hair dressing
- London : Printed for the author, No. 12, Old Broad-Street; and sold by all the booksellers in town and country, MDCCLXXII 
- Physical Description:
- , 435,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT956 .S8 1782Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title continued: Also ample and wholesome rules to preserve the hair. The hair completely analyzed, as to its growth, nature, colour, &c. and all and every article used in the hair, on the head, face, &c. as, false hair, perfumery, cosmetics, &c. clearly analyzed and examined; with a history of the hair and head dress, from the earliest ages to the present time, particularly as they have appeared upon the English stage for these last two Hundred Years; with strictures on the present performers belonging to each theatre. The plan of this work requiring it, there are also complete rules for the management of children and education of youth; and excellent rules for the preservation of the health and happiness of age; being a guide through the seven ages of man. The whole interspersed with moral thoughts, being necessary for all families.
English short title catalogue, T145753
BAC: British Art Center copy in original paper covered boards. Ms inscription on first free end-paper: Godfrey. Half-title page missing.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1782.Godfrey, Autograph.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Hairdressing -- Early works to 1800.Stewart, James -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Stewart, James, Plocacosmos, or, The whole art of hair dressing , MDCCLXXII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.