The mask of Comus : the poem, originally called 'A mask presented at Ludlow castle, 1634, &c.' / edited by E.H. Visiak ; the airs of the five songs reprinted from the composer's autograph manuscript edited by Hubert J. Foss ; with a foreword by the Earl of Ellesmere ; ornamented by M.R.H. Farrar.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Published by the Nonesuch press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 44,  pages : color illustrations, music ; 40 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2015 5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- At head of title: John Milton [and] Henry Lawes.
"This edition is limited to 950 copies on Pennekoeck mould-made paper. It is printed, the text in Fell types, and the music of the Airs in Walpergen type, at the University Press, Oxford, by John Johnson, the printer to the University. The illustrations are printed from the artist's linoleum-cuts by the Curwen Press. The binding is by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Company."--Colophon.
"The airs of the songs by Henry Lawes with his version of the words": p. -44.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 109
BEIN 1973 +89: In case: 41 cm.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 354 of 950. Bound in publisher's full vellum. Lacks slip case.
- Subject Terms:
- Masques with music -- Librettos.Music.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Linocuts -- Hand-colored -- 1937.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.