Stothard, C. A. (Charles Alfred), 1786-1821, The monumental effigies of Great Britain , 1817 [i.e. 1811-1832]
- The monumental effigies of Great Britain : selected from our cathedrals and churches for the purpose of bringing together, and preserving correct representations of the best historical illustrations extant, from the Norman conquest to the reign of Henry the Eighth / by C.A. Stothard.
- London : Printed by J. M'Creery ... for the author ..., 1817 [i.e. 1811-1832].
- Physical Description:
- 23, 112,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 49 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 8 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 8 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Published in parts, the first part published in 1811. The plates are variously dated from 1810 to 1828. Introduction issued with separate title page: Introduction and descriptions for Stothard's Monumental effigies of Great Britain. By Alfred John Kempe, F.S.A. 1832.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is a large paper copy, bound from the original parts. Copy 2 is a subscriber's copy also bound from the original parts; wrappers bound at the end. Wrappers inscribed: "Subscribers copy--Sir R. C. Hoare Bart ..." Bookplate: George Tudor.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Christian antiquities -- Great Britain.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1811-1832.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811-1832.Hoare, Richard Colt, Sir, 1758-1838 -- Provenance.M'Creery, J. -- Printer.Sepulchral monuments -- Great Britain.Tudor, George -- Bookplate.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.