A complete view of the dress and habits of the people of England : from the establishment of the Saxons in Britain to the present time : illustrated by engravings taken from the most authentic remains of antiquity : to which is prefixed an introduction, containing a general description of the ancient habits in use among mankind, from the earliest period of time to the conclusion of the seventh century / by Joseph Strutt.
- A new and improved edition with critical and explanatory notes by J.R. Planché, Esq. F.S.A., author of The history of British costume, etc.
- London : Henry G. Bohn, York Street, Covent Garden, MDCCCXLII 
[London] : G. Norman, printer, Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT730 .S77 1842+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT730 .S77 1842+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- 153 plates reproducing portraits of English personages from illuminated manuscripts in the British Museum and the Bodleian Library. First published 1796-1799.
Plates are not bound in the order in which they are numbered.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2825
Brunet, J.-C. Manuel du libraire et de l'amateur de livres (5e éd.), v. 5, 566
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Gca14
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in original olive green half morocco with marbled boards. Armorial bookplate of Anthony Salvin and Anne Andrews Nesfield.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in original brown half morocco with marbled boards. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- History.Costume -- Great Britain -- History.Hunnewell, James Frothingham -- Bookplate.Nesfield, Anne Andres -- Bookplate.Salvin, Anthony -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1841.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Strutt, Joseph, 1749-1802, A complete view of the dress and habits of the people of England , MDCCCXLII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.