Strutt, Joseph, 1749-1802, A complete view of the dress and habits of the people of England , MDCCXCVI-MDCCXCIX [1796-1799]
- A complete view of the dress and habits of the people of England : from the establishment of the Saxons in Britain to the present time : illustrated by engravings taken from the most authentic remains of antiquity : to which is prefixed an introduction, containing a general description of the ancient habits in use among mankind, from the earliest period of time to the conclusion of the seventh century / Joseph Strutt.
- London : Printed by J. Nichols, for J. Edwards , Pall-Mall; R. Edwards, Bond-Street; B. and J. White, Fleet-Street; G. and J. Robinson, Pater-Noster-Row; and J. Thane, Spur-Street, Leicester-Square, MDCCXCVI-MDCCXCIX [1796-1799]
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT730 .S77 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Imprint of volume 2 omits R. Edwards.
Plates numbered I-CXLIII, excluding frontispieces.
ESTC (RLIN), T102863
Colas, R. Costume, 2824
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-tooled red morocco. Spine of volume 1 gilt-stamped "Vol. IX Dresses." Spine of volume 2 gilt-stamped "X Dresses."
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- England -- Early works to 1800.Costume -- England -- Early works to 1800.Edwards, J. -- Publisher.Edwards, R. -- Publisher.Nichols, J. -- Printer.Thane, J. -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1796-1799.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.