Stuart, Robert, 1812-1848, Views and notices of Glasgow in former times, 1848
- Views and notices of Glasgow in former times.
- Glasgow : R. Stuart & Co. ; 1848.
Edinburgh : Bell & Bradfute, and John Menzies, 1848.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 116 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA890.G5 S78 1848+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Introductory notice signed: Robert Stuart.
With an added lithographed title page.
Tinted lithographs by Allan & Ferguson; after Captain John Slezer, James Brown, Mr. Weir, and Robert Paul.
Printed by William Rankin, 62, Argyll Street, Glasgow.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped brown cloth. Bookplate: James W. Alston, Stockbriggs.
- Plates: Glasgow from the South, in the Reign of Charles (or of James) the Second -- Glasgow from the Merchants' Park, about the year 1690 -- Ruins of the Bishop's Castle or Archiepiscopal Palace -- Tower of the Bishop's Castle and St. Nicholas' Hospital -- Prebendal Manse in the Rottenrow -- Old houses opposite the Barony Church -- The 'Duke's Lodgings' front and back view -- The Gorbals Baronial Hall -- The Old Merchants' Hall, Bridgegate -- The Broomielaw about 1760 -- The Former Hutchesons' Hospital -- The court-yard of Hutchesons' Hospital -- Old houses in Stockwell Street -- Old custom-house, &c. -- Old mansion in the High Street, east side -- Old houses in the High Street, west side -- The Bell of the Brae -- The Blackfriars' , or College Church, front and back view -- The original Saracen's Head Inn -- Old houses in the Gallowgate -- The Trongate about 1750 -- The "Easter Sugar House" -- Fiddler's Close -- Silvercraigs' Land -- Former residence of Campbell of Blythswood -- Former residence of James Watt -- Town house occupied by the late Kirkman Finlay -- The Old Bridge -- Part of Argyll Street in 1794, north and south side -- Part of Argyll Street in 1793 and Grahamston -- The Broomielaw in 1802 -- Ruins of the Theatre Royal, Queen Street -- "Charlie's Stables" -- Plan of Glasgow in 1793 -- The Morning Walk -- Old scupltures &c.
- Subject Terms:
- Alston, James W. -- Bookplate.Bell & Bradfute -- Publisher.Glasgow (Scotland) -- Description and travel.Glasgow (Scotland) -- History.Glasgow (Scotland) -- Pictorial works.Menzies, John -- Publisher.R. Stuart & Co. -- Publisher.Rankin, William -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1848.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.