Stuart, Robert, 1812-1848, Views and notices of Glasgow in former times, 1848
Views and notices of Glasgow in former times.
- Glasgow : R. Stuart & Co. ; 1848.
Edinburgh : Bell & Bradfute, and John Menzies, 1848.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 116 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA890.G5 S78 1848+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Introductory notice signed: Robert Stuart.
With an added lithographed title page.
Tinted lithographs by Allan & Ferguson; after Captain John Slezer, James Brown, Mr. Weir, and Robert Paul.
Printed by William Rankin, 62, Argyll Street, Glasgow.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped brown cloth. Bookplate: James W. Alston, Stockbriggs.
- Subject Terms:
- Alston, James W. -- Bookplate.Bell & Bradfute -- Publisher.Glasgow (Scotland) -- Description and travel.Glasgow (Scotland) -- History.Glasgow (Scotland) -- Pictorial works.Menzies, John -- Publisher.R. Stuart & Co. -- Publisher.Rankin, William -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1848.
- Plates: Glasgow from the South, in the Reign of Charles (or of James) the Second
- Glasgow from the Merchants' Park, about the year 1690
- Ruins of the Bishop's Castle or Archiepiscopal Palace
- Tower of the Bishop's Castle and St. Nicholas' Hospital
- Prebendal Manse in the Rottenrow
- Old houses opposite the Barony Church
- The 'Duke's Lodgings' front and back view
- The Gorbals Baronial Hall
- The Old Merchants' Hall, Bridgegate
- The Broomielaw about 1760
- The Former Hutchesons' Hospital
- The court-yard of Hutchesons' Hospital
- Old houses in Stockwell Street
- Old custom-house, &c.
- Old mansion in the High Street, east side
- Old houses in the High Street, west side
- The Bell of the Brae
- The Blackfriars' , or College Church, front and back view
- The original Saracen's Head Inn
- Old houses in the Gallowgate
- The Trongate about 1750
- The "Easter Sugar House"
- Fiddler's Close
- Silvercraigs' Land
- Former residence of Campbell of Blythswood
- Former residence of James Watt
- Town house occupied by the late Kirkman Finlay
- The Old Bridge
- Part of Argyll Street in 1794, north and south side
- Part of Argyll Street in 1793 and Grahamston
- The Broomielaw in 1802
- Ruins of the Theatre Royal, Queen Street
- "Charlie's Stables"
- Plan of Glasgow in 1793
- The Morning Walk
- Old scupltures &c.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.