Sulpitius Verulanus, Joannes, active 15th century, De arte grammatica, sive, De octo partibus orationis, [circa 1495]
- De arte grammatica, sive, De octo partibus orationis.
- Alternate Title(s):
- De arte grammatica
De octo partibus orationis
- [Cologne] : [Johann Koelhoff, the Younger], [circa 1495]
- Physical Description:
-  pages ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBT992 .R83 1478Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Description based on an incomplete copy at the Yale Center for British Art (comprising the final 17 leaves of 70). Title and imprint from ISTC. Extent from Grolier Club.
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, M44317
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, S840
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 36 notes
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: comprises the final 17 leaves only (g6-8, h⁶, i⁸). "Bound with five other tracts or fragments in a contemporary English calf binding over wooden boards. There are repeated impressions of two tools on both covers: an oval Lamb of God with 'Ecce Agnus Dei' as border and the other, a round gothic capital 'R'. Neither appears in Oldham. The catch of a single center brass clasp is on the back cover; the tongue is lacking ... The book is from the Dryden family collection sold at Sotheby's on 9 Nov. 1960. At front is the inscription: 'Driden / Canons Abbey.' At the back are the 2 1/2 pages of notes in English on grammar in a typical hand of the 15th/16th century. Beneath the text on the paste-down are two contemporary signatures, 'R. Backley' and 'John (or James) Phord.'"--Grolier Club.
- Subject Terms:
- Dryden, Cecil, 1893-1959 -- Provenance.Dryden, Muriel, 1897-1978 -- Provenance.Incunabula in Yale Library.Latin language -- Grammar -- Early works to 1500.Letter writing, Latin -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.