Swinburne, Henry, 1743-1803, Travels through Spain, in the years 1775 and 1776 , MDCCLXXIX 
- Travels through Spain, in the years 1775 and 1776 : in which several monuments of Roman and Moorish architecture are illustrated by accurate drawings taken on the spot / by Henry Swinburne, Esq.
- London : Printed for P. Elmsley, in the Strand, MDCCLXXIX 
- Physical Description:
- vii, , ix-xv, , 427 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., map ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDP34 .S84 1779+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraving by Henry Swinburne, Francesco Giomignani, and Carlo Nolli; after Henry Swinburne.
" ... shortly after publication six further plates and several leaves of letterpress were prepared and included with copies.The new letterpress is signed A⁴, B⁴(-B4), and bears a 'Table of contents' (A1-3), an 'Index of Persons' in two columns (A4-B1), an 'Index of Plates' in two columns (B2-3A) and 'Errata.' (B3 verso)"--British Architectural Library.
Signatures: a⁴ A-Yy⁴ 3A-3H⁴ 3I²
Cicognara, L. Catalog ragionato dei libri d'arte, 2548
ESTC (RLIN), T88882
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 4119
A chronological table of the Kings of Spain: p. ix-x.
A Table of weights, measures, and coins: p. xi.
Itinerary: p. xii-xv.
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound in contemporary calf; rebacked. Appears to be the later issue as described in the British Architectural Library. Contains the 6 extra plates and extra leaves of letterpress, as described. British Art Center extra-illustrated with laid in colored engraving ("Montesa"). Bookplate: HKB.
- Plates: Arch of Hannibal -- Arch of Barra -- Tomb of the Scipios -- Venta del platero -- Saxe -- Plan of the Alhambra -- Gates of the Alhambra -- Great bath of the Alhambra -- Court of the Lions -- Pieces of architecture -- Entrance of the tower of the two Hermanas -- Plan of the mosque of Cordova -- East front of the mosque -- Chapel of the Koran.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Spain -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Roman -- Spain -- Early works to 1800.Elmsley, P. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1779.Etching -- Specimens -- 1779.HKB -- Bookplate.Islamic architecture -- Spain -- Early works to 1800.Spain -- Antiquities, Roman -- Early works to 1800.Spain -- Civilization, Islamic -- Early works to 1800.Spain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.