Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877, Sun pictures in Scotland, 1845
Sun pictures in Scotland.
- London : [s.n.], 1845.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR651 .T35 1845+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The first printed book to be offered for sale illustrated with photographs. It contains 23 salt prints (made with the calotype process), all taken in Scotland by Talbot on a tour paying homage to Sir Walter Scott.
Only 120 copies were bound.
Gernsheim, H. Concise history of photography, p. 40
Gernsheim, H. Incunabula of British photographic literature, 7
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown cloth, with title stamped in gilt on front cover. Bookplate: Woburn Abbey.
- Subject Terms:
- Calotype -- Great Britain.Calotype -- Specimens -- 1845.Photography -- Early works to 1850.Scotland -- Pictorial works.Scott, Walter, 1771-1832.Woburn Abbey -- Bookplate.
- Calotype (paper process)
Salted paper prints.
- Plates: 1. Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh
- 2. Sir Walter Scott's monument, Edinburgh, as it appeared when nearly finished, in October 1844
- 3. Abbotsford
- 4. Entrance gate, Abbotsford
- 5. Hall Door, Abbotsford
- 6. Effigy of Sir W. Scott's favourite dog Maida, by the side of the hall door at Abbotsford
- 7-9. Melrose Abbey
- 10-12. Loch Katrine
- 13. The tomb of Sir W. Scott, in Dryburgh Abbey
- 14. Highland hut on the banks of Loch Katrine
- 15-17. Scenery of Loch Katrine
- 18. The Castle of Doune
- 19. The same seen from the other side
- 20. A mountain rivulet which flows at the foot of Doune Castle
- 21-23. Melrose Abbey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.