Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878, The bachelor's own book , 
- The bachelor's own book : being the progress of Mr. Lambkin, (gent.) in the persuit of pleasure and amusememt [sic] : and also in search of health and happiness / designed, etched & published by George Cruikshank ; August 1st 1844.
- London : Sold by D. Bogue, 86 Fleet St. London, and all booksellers, 
- Physical Description:
- , 12 leaves : illustrations ; 14 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.C78 B33 1844 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.C78 B33 1844 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "In the first issue there are two mistakes in the spelling on the engraved title ... Pursuit is misspelt "Persuit," Amusement is misspelt "Amusememt." After a few copies the error in "pursuit" was corrected, but the misspelling of amusement remained. It was, however, subsequently corrected."--A.M. Cohn. George Cruikshank.
Engraved throughout: illustrated title leaf and twenty-four etchings on twelve leaves. With descriptive text under each etching.
Issued in colored and uncolored state. In the colored state, the design on the wrapper is colored.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 562
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 192
BEIN 1978 1337: Original wrappers bound in. First issue. Bookplate: Alvin W. Krech.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Second issue (pursuit corrected, amusememt uncorrected). Hand-colored. Disbound; in publisher's original illustrated boards.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary gilt-tooled red calf. Illustrations are colored. First issue per Cohn: two spelling mistakes on engraved title: Pursuit is misspelt "Persuit," Amusement is misspelt "Amusememt." Colored etchings.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Humor.Krech, Alvin W. -- Bookplate.Satire, English.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1844.
Caricatures -- England -- London -- 1844.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.