Sixteen views of places in the Persian Gulph taken in the years 1809-10 : illustrative of the proceedings of the forces employ'd on the expedition sent from Bombay, under the command of Capt. Wainwright, of H.M. ship Chiffone, and Lieut. Coll. Smith of H.M. 65th Regiment against the Arabian pirates / by R. Temple, H.M. 65th Regt., Bombay 1811.
- Additional Title(s):
Cover title, on publisher's printed label: Views in the Persian Gulph
- London : Published April 1813, by W. Haines, 10, South Molton St., 1813.
- Physical Description:
- 7 pages, , 16 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 33 x 52 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 38 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 38 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatints by John Clark; after Richard Temple.
"These views are from drawings taken by Richard Temple, a private in his Majesty's 65th regiment."--Page 1.
Letterpress description of the plates is printed on 7 smaller pages (pages 26 x 21 cm), the gathering of which is affixed to the front pastedown.
Imprint from plates.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 389
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Imperfect: lacks the 7 pages of letterpress. Bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards, with printed title label.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards, with printed title label. Armorial bookplate: Moncure Biddle. Presentation ALS from Mr. Haines to Mr. Robinson on inside front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Biddle, Moncure -- Bookplate.Chiffone (Frigate)Combined operations (Military science)Great Britain. Army -- History.Great Britain. Army -- Pictorial works.Haines, Mr. -- Pres. insc. to Mr. Robinson.Haines, W. -- Publisher.Persian Gulf -- History -- Pictorial works.Persian Gulf -- History, Naval.Robinson, Mr. -- Pres. insc. from Mr. Haines.Smith, Lieut. Col.Wainwright, Capt.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1813.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- (Engraved title)
- The fleet under convoy of H.M. Ship Chiffone, Capt Wainwright, leaving Bombay. Septr 14, 1809. From the Apollo Gate
- Muskat Habour from the Fisher-men's Rock
- Muskat, from the Habour
- A view of Mutra from the East
- Rus ul Khyma, with the attack of the H.C.'s Cruisers on the Evening of the 11th Novr 1809
- The wall & beach, near Rus ul Khyma, with the troops preparing to land on the morning of the 13th Novr 1809
- The troops landing at Rus ul Khyma at sun-rise, 13th Novr 1809
- The storming of a large storehouse near Rus ul Khyma, where Captn Dancey of H.M. 65th Regt was killed. Novr 13th 1809
- Rus ul Khyma, from the S W and the situation of the troops at 1/2 past 2 P.M. Novr 13th 1809
- A view of the Linga or Lung, from the sea during the destruction of the Dow's &c Novr 16th 1809
- A view of the Luft. 16th Nov 1809
- The attack on the Fort of Luft. Novr 27th 1809
- Schinaass from the sea
- The attack of the enemys Cavalry at Schinaass. Jany 2d 1810
- Schinaass from the right of the encampment, on the morning of the 3rd Jany 1810
- The storming of Schinaass. Jany 3rd 1810.