IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Thornhill, R. B. (Richard Badham), The shooting directory , 1804
The shooting directory / by R.B. Thornhill.
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, ix, , 432 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK12 .T46 1804+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 2248Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- Dedication signed on p. xvi: Richard B. Thornhill, Bath, July 20, 1804.
Aquatints by Thomas Medland; after Edward Bell and J. West.
Printed by J. Browne, Bath.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, IV, p. 94
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 394
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original paper covered boards. Pages 215-220 cancelled; p. 214 numbered as p. 214-220 which Abbey suggests makes this copy a third issue. Portrait is colored. Bookplate: Ex libris Schwerdt.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Sporting 2248. Quarto. Contemporary dark tan half calf, and marbled board covers, broken; gold lettering and gold lines on spine. In brown cloth slip-case; tan leather label with gold lettering on spine. Frontispiece, color plates (hand-colored aquatints), charts. Spine height: 11 3/4 inches.
- Subject Terms:
- Browne, J. -- Printer.Game laws -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hunting -- Great Britain.Hunting dogs -- Great Britain.Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme -- Publisher.Recreation -- Great Britain.Schwerdt -- Bookplate.Shooting -- Great Britain.Thornhill, Richard Badham -- Portraits.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1804.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Table of British dogs
- Management and breeding of dogs
- Spanier, or cocker
- Fowling piece
- Range of barrels
- Scattering of barrels
- Double barrels
- Patent breech
- Game laws
- Game licensces
- Game, respecting grous, black game and bustard
- Respecting partridges and pheasants
- Respecting hares
- Mutiny act
- Selling of game
- General remarks
- Stealing dogs
- Duty on dogs
- Distemper and other diseases incidental to dogs
- The mange
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.