Thornhill, R. B. (Richard Badham), The shooting directory , 1804
- The shooting directory / by R.B. Thornhill.
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, ix, , 432 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK12 .T46 1804+ Copy 1 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 2248Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Dedication signed on p. xvi: Richard B. Thornhill, Bath, July 20, 1804.
Aquatints by Thomas Medland; after Edward Bell and J. West.
Printed by J. Browne, Bath.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 394
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, IV, p. 94
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original paper covered boards. Pages 215-220 cancelled; p. 214 numbered as p. 214-220 which Abbey suggests makes this copy a third issue. Portrait is colored. Bookplate: Ex libris Schwerdt.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Sporting 2248. Quarto. Contemporary dark tan half calf, and marbled board covers, broken; gold lettering and gold lines on spine. In brown cloth slip-case; tan leather label with gold lettering on spine. Frontispiece, color plates (hand-colored aquatints), charts. Spine height: 11 3/4 inches.
- Dog -- Table of British dogs -- Management and breeding of dogs -- Pointer -- Setter -- Spanier, or cocker -- Grous -- Patridge -- Pheasant -- Woodcock -- Snipe -- Hare -- Fowling piece -- Recoil -- Range of barrels -- Scattering of barrels -- Double barrels -- Patent breech -- Gun-powder -- Shot -- Game laws -- Qualification -- Game licensces -- Game, respecting grous, black game and bustard -- Respecting partridges and pheasants -- Respecting hares -- Mutiny act -- Selling of game -- General remarks -- Stealing dogs -- Duty on dogs -- Distemper and other diseases incidental to dogs -- The mange -- Receipts -- Shooting -- Index.
- Subject Terms:
- Browne, J. -- Printer.Game laws -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hunting -- Great Britain.Hunting dogs -- Great Britain.Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme -- Publisher.Recreation -- Great Britain.Schwerdt -- Bookplate.Shooting -- Great Britain.Thornhill, Richard Badham -- Portraits.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1804.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.