The adventures of a post captain / by a naval officer ; with characteristic engravings by Mr. Williams.
- Additional Title(s):
Post captain, or, Adventures of a true British tar
Adventures of a true British tar
True British tar
- London : Published by J. Johnston, Cheapside; Simpkin and Marshall, Stationers' Court; Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; S.W. Fores, 50, Piccadilly, and 312, Oxford Street; Macredie and Co. Edinburgh; Milliken, Dublin; and sold by all booksellers, 
- Physical Description:
- , 282,  p., , 24 leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5670.T65 A38 1817+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved t.p. reads: The post captain, or, Adventures of a true British tar by a naval officer.
Spine title, on publisher's printed label, reads: A true British tar. The adventures of a post captain, by a naval officer. Embellished with 25 prints. Price £1 4s.
Attributed to Alfred Thornton. Cf. Abbey.
Aquatint engravings by Charles Williams.
"J. & T. Agg, 21, Water-Lane, Fleet-Street, London."--T.p. verso.
Publication date from Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 347
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.) 484
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original boards, with publisher's printed label on spine. Bookplate: Sir A. Berkeley Milne.
- Subject Terms:
- J. & T. Agg -- Printer.Johnston, J. -- Publisher.Milne, A. Berkeley, Sir -- Bookplate.Seafaring life -- Poetry.
- Aquatints -- England -- 1817.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
YCBA Collections Search
Thornton, Alfred, active 1820, The adventures of a post captain , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.