Prefatio magistri iohannis de thwrocz : in primu[m] libru[m] Chronice hungaror[um] foeliciter incipit.
- Additional Title(s):
Prefatio magistri Johannis de Thwrocz in primum librum Chronicae Hungarorum foeliciter incipit
Compendium historiae regum Hungarorum ab anno 969 usque ad anno 1459
- [Augsburg] : [Erhard Ratdolt, for Theobaldus Feger], [3 June 1488]
- Physical Description:
-  pages : illustrations (some colored), initials, device (woodcuts) ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDB924 .T48 1488Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Text includes dedicatory letter from Feger to Mathias Corvinus, the Chronica, an extended account of the Mongol invasion of 1241 attributed to a Master Roger, and terminal verses.
Title from caption at beginning of preface on leaf a1 recto, which is preceded by the dedication to Thomas de Drag: Ad egregiu[m] d[omi]n[u]m Thoma[m] de drag personalis presentie sere / nissimi principis d[omi]ni Mathie : hungarie : bohemie & c[etera]. regis can / cellariu[m].
Imprints from colophon on leaf 173b, which reads in full: Serenissimoru[m] hungarie regu[m] chronica bene reuisa ac fideli studio emendata finit fe / liciter Jmpressa erhardi ratdolt viri soler / tissimi eximia industria et mira imprimendi arte : qua nuper venetijs nu[n]c Auguste ex / cellet nominatissimus. Jmpensis siquidem Theobaldi feger conciuis Budensis An / no salutifere incarnatio[n]is millesimo q[ua]drin / gentesimo octogesimo octauo tertio nona Junij.
Previously printed at Brünn, Stahel and Preunlein, 20 March 1488; according to BM 15th cent., the June printing is the only one to contain Feger's letter, battlefield illustrations, and terminal verse.
Contains woodcut initials and hand-colored woodcut illustrations.
Printer's device (that of Theobaldus Feger) on the colophon page.
Signatures: [-]² a-g⁸ h⁶ i¹⁰ k-o⁸ p⁶ q-t⁸ v⁴ x⁸ y¹⁰, v 3,4 and y 10 blank.
For variants see Sajó-Soltész and BM 15th cent.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in early calf (perhaps contemporary), stamped in blind and black, over wooden boards, with remnants of brass clasps on lower cover. With case label or shelfmark of an unidentified library, in black ink: "13.F. 24."
BM 15th cent., v. IV, p. 116
Murray, C.F. German books, 411
- Subject Terms:
- Hungary -- History -- 1000-1699 -- Early works to 1800.Incunabula in Yale Library.
- Woodcuts -- Hand-colored -- 1488.
YCBA Collections Search
Thuróczy, János, approximately 1435-, Prefatio magistri iohannis de thwrocz , [3 June 1488]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.