Night feet on earth / by Ken Campbell.
- [Oxford, England] : Ken Campbell, 1986.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : col. ill. ; 26 x 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4 C35 N44 1987+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- " ... done at the time of Halley's Comet coming to England ... I found a Christmas cracker and opened it and found a little thing like an articulated hat rack. It was a horse that you could open and shut. I thought, I'm going to do a book about this. Halley's Comet, the horse, and this poem in my mind that is the poem in the book. I cut out a zinc horse in its different attitudes, opened and shut, and moved it around the given firmament and made a big plate of stars, deciding to make the stars at regular grid intervals, drilled in. Just a nice bit of mechanical engineering all round ... In very airily spaced capital wood letters about an inch high is the pursuance of the poetry going from one left-hand page to the following left-hand page. On the right-hand side is a big blue firmament of graded colour with yellow printed underneath, so sometimes the stars are white and sometimes yellow to give a very mechanical but beautiful rendition of the sky in mechanically spaced, regularly spaced starts. Over which disports a horse in black, almost as a metaphor for the comet, almost as a metaphor for the divine child descending, which in many ways the poem is about."--Ken Campbell, from The word returned.
Original archival material related to this work is available in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts (Ken Campbell Collection, MSS 25).
Word returned: artist books by Ken Campbell, 7
BAC: British Art Center copy is no.  of an edition of 51, signed by artist. Bound in original cloth spine and illustrated paper boards; issued in a perforated slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Campbell, Ken, 1939- -- Publisher.Halley's comet.Horses -- Pictorial works.Oxford (England) -- Imprints -- Specimens -- 1986.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.