Journal of a route across India, through Egypt, to England : in the latter end of the year 1817, and the beginning of 1818 / by Lieutenant-Colonel Fitzclarence.
- Additional Title(s):
Route through India and Egypt to England
- London : John Murray, 1819.
- Physical Description:
- [iii]-xxiv, 502 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : col ill. maps, plans ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS475.6 .M86 1819+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS475.6 .M86 1819+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label: Route through India and Egypt to England. By Lieut.-Co. Fitzclerance. Nineteen plates and maps. £2.18s.
Aquatints by R. Havell & Son; after Fitzclarence.
Maps engraved by John Walker.
Printed by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 519
Hobson, G.D. English bindings of J.R Abbey, no. 112
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in original pale blue paper boards.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in blind- and gilt-tooled blue morocco; gilt border of oak leaf sprays around repeated roses, thistles and shamrocks. Decorated spine and inside border. Blue velvet linings. Gilt edges. Bound for presentation to Adelaide, Duchess of Clarence (later Queen) with her coronetted initials and her arms with those of her husband on front and back covers. Unsigned but by George Mullen of Dublin. Cf. Hobson.
- Subject Terms:
- Adelaide, Queen, consort of William IV, King of Great Britain, 1792-1849 -- Binding.Davison, Thomas -- Printer.Eardley, Sampson Gideon Eardley, Baron, 1744-1824 -- Bookplate.Egypt -- Description and travel.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1819.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1819.India -- Description and travel.India -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947.Mahratta War, 1816-1818.Mullen, George -- Bookbinding designer.Murray, J. -- Publisher.
- Travel literature.
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Aquatints -- 1819.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
- Contents of the plates: Pettah the Citadel & Pettah of Dowlutabad
- Gorkah soldier
- Rocket Corps and Dromedary Corps
- Irregular cavalry
- The great gun at Agra
- A Khanga on the River Nile
- The second pyramid of Egypt
- Chamber & sarcophagus, in the 2nd pyramid. The real & forced entrances to the pyramid, re-opened by Sigr. Belzoni 1818
- Interior cut in the rock at the base of the Great Pyramid of Egypt
- A sketch of some of the gold ornaments worn by the women of Timbuctoo
- Map of the seat of war in India
- Sketch of the engagement at Jubbulpoor
- Plan of the city of Nagpoor
- Sketch of the Battle of Meinpoor
- Plan of the grand temple, Keylas
- Sketch of the engagements in Ponah
- Map of the route from Cosier to Alexandria.