Precepts of landscape drawing, exemplified in fifteen views : with instructions to young artists / by John Varley.
- Additional Title(s):
Precepts for designs in landscape
Precepts Pl. II with Views in Wales
- [London : Published Jany. 1, 1818, as the act directs by J. Varley, No. 10, Great Titchfield Street, Oxford Street, late of Conduit Street, 1818]
- Physical Description:
-  double plates : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC800 .V37 1818+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- 15 views on 2 plates each of which is on double leaves.
Imprint derived from plates.
Title on plate : Precepts for designs in landscape.
Title on plate : Precepts Pl. II with Views in Wales.
Illustrations by Frederick Christian Lewis and Joshua Gleadah; after John Varley.
Prideaux, p. 203
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 186
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Original wrappers, with label: Precepts of landscape drawing, exemplified in fifteen views, with instructions to young artists by John Varley. Price five shillings. Inscribed in ms.on upper wrapper: John L. Roget.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Landscape drawing -- Technique.Roget, John L. -- Autograph.Varley, J. -- Publisher.
- Drawing books.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- .
YCBA Collections Search
Varley, John, 1778-1842, Precepts of landscape drawing, exemplified in fifteen views , 1818]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.