The history and antiquities of Shrewsbury : from its first foundation to the present time : comprising a recital of occurrences and remarkable events for above twelve hundred years : with an appendix containing several particulars relative to castles, monasteries, &c. in Shropshire / by Thomas Phillips.
- Second edition : with a continuation of the history, numerous notes, and additional particulars including also, the history and description of the county of Salop : the course of the River Severn, &c. / by Charles Hulbert.
- Providence Grove [Shrewsbury, England] : Printed and published by the editor, and sold by H. Washbourne, London, 1837.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. in 1 : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690 S58 P5 1837+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The first edition was largely the work of James Bowen of Halston, Shropshire. cf Dictionary of National Biography.
BAC: Volume 2 has title: History and description of the County of Salop : comprising original historical and topographical notices of the hundreds, towns, parishes and villages, with their dependeicies in Shropshire / by Charles Hulbert ; vol. II ; in connection with the enlarged edition of Phillip's History of Shrewsbury.
Illustrations by J. Fereday, C. Jackson, John William Cook, W. Simpson, William Watts.
BAC: List of subscriber's: v. 2, p. xii-xvii.
Printed by C[harles] Hulbert, Providence Grove, Near Shrewsbury.
- Subject Terms:
- Hulbert, Charles, 1778-1857 -- Printer.Salop (England) -- Description and travel.Salop (England) -- History.Shrewsbury (England) -- Antiquities.Shrewsbury (England) -- History.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1837.
Etchings -- 1837.
Engravings -- 1837.
Mezzotints -- 1837.
YCBA Collections Search
Phillips, Thomas, d. 1815, The history and antiquities of Shrewsbury , 1837
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.