Wales, James, 1746 or 1747-1795, [Twelve views of the island of Bombay and its vicinity], [May 1, 1800]
- [Twelve views of the island of Bombay and its vicinity].
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bombay views
- [London] : [Published ... by R. Cribb 288 Holborn], [May 1, 1800]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : hand-colored etchings ; images 39 x 65 cm, on sheets 44 x 71 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 419.5 (Folio C)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the James Wales archive, Yale Center for British Art
- "With their particular high views, long perspectives, sharp landscape details, minute Indian figures, and bright light-filled wash, these Bombay etchings are significant both as a finished set of the artist's early work in India and for the way in which they anticipate and inform his later plans for portraying the mysterious environment of 'rural complexity' and spiritual 'grandeur' of the Indian antiquities."--De Almeida.
The collective title is derived from a volume of letterpress published the same year: Bombay views. Twelve volumes of the island of Bombay and its vicinity : taken in the years 1791 and 1792 : designed and engraved on the spot by James Wales : and brought to this country by Sir Charles Warre Malet, to whom they are respectfully dedicated. London : Printed by R. Goodwin, no. 13, Furnival's Inn Court, Holborn, 1800.
For related material concerning James Wales's travels in Mumbai, see: James Wales archive (1786-1797), Yale Center for British Art (see link herewith).
British Museum. Catalogue of maps, prints, drawings, etc., forming the geographical and topographical collection attached to the library of his late Majesty King George the third, etc
De Almeida, H. Indian Renaissance, pages 126-132
McAleer, J. Picturing India, pages 66, 70
BAC: British Art Center copy is imperfect: lacks print no. 8. The set appears to have been printed without the captions, imprints, and signings present on other copies. With borders in gray and black. Not accompanied by the original letterpress volume published by Goodwin (but images of the India Office Library copy of the volume are provided).
- 1. View of Bombay harbor -- 2. View of Bombay harbor -- 3. View from Malabar Hill -- 4. View from Malabar Hill -- 5. View of the Breach Causeway -- 6. View of the Breach from Love Grove -- 7. View from Belmont -- 8. View from Belmont -- 9. View from Belmont -- 10. View from Sion Fort -- 11. View from Sion Fort -- 12. View from the island of Elephanta.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Bays -- India -- Mumbai -- Pictorial works.East India Company.Elephanta Island (India) -- Pictorial works.Malabar Hill (Mumbai, India) -- Pictorial works.Mumbai (India) -- Pictorial works.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.