To be published on the twenty-third of April, 1816, (being the anniversary of the 2nd century after his decease), an engraved portrait of Shakspeare, from the monumental bust at Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Additional Title(s):
Mr. William Shakespeare, his true effigy.
- [London] : [J. Britton], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet (2 pages) ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2929 .W37 1816+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- At head of title: "Mr. William Shakespeare." "His true effigy."
"This print will be engraved in mezzotinto by William Ward, from a painting by Thomas Phillips, Esq. R.A. after a cast made from the original bust by George Bullock."--Page 1.
Signed, page 2: J. Britton, 10, Tavistock Place, London, January 31, 1816.
- Subject Terms:
- Britton, J. -- Publisher.Bullock, George, 1782 or 1783-1818.Phillips, Thomas, 1770-1845.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Portraits.Ward, William, 1766-1826. From the monumental bust, at Stratford-upon-Avon, Mr. William Shakspeare, "His true effigies."
YCBA Collections Search
To be published on the twenty-third of April, 1816, (being the anniversary of the 2nd century after his decease), an engraved portrait of Shakspeare, from the monumental bust at Stratford-upon-Avon, 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.