The nobleman and gentleman's director and assistant, in the true choice of their wheel-carriages : being entire new designs for travelling-coaches, post-coaches, landaus both open and close, chariots, post-chariots, calashes, post-chaises, phaetons, and other vehicles, &c. curiously hung on steel springs. Being a work of universal use, not only to gentlemen, but coach-makers and spring-makers in general. The wheels and axle-trees are made of a proper height, so as to enable the horses to draw freely and with the greatest ease; many a fine horse having been totally spoiled by going up great ascents, and all owing to fixing improperly the wheels and axis. The whole drawn from original designs, executed and correctly engraved on thirty-six copper plates.
- London : Printed for A. Webley, in Holborn, near Chancery-Lane, 1763.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 36 leaves of plates (one folded) : chiefly ill. ; 19 x 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 38Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Publisher's advertisement on verso of title page.
Engravings by Ignace Fougeron; after M. Meillian [i.e. Meillan?].
English short title catalogue, T101566
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in 19th-century gilt-tooled half calf and green cloth. Cased with: Treatise on the aeropleustic art. London, 1851.
- Subject Terms:
- Carriage and wagon making -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Carriages and carts -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Coaching (Transportation) -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1763.Transportation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Wagons -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Webley, A. -- Publisher.
- Publishers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
The nobleman and gentleman's director and assistant, in the true choice of their wheel-carriages , 1763
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.