Reprint of a description of the Portland vase : formerly the Barberini : the manner of its formation, and the various opinions hitherto advanced on the subjects of the bas reliefs / by Josiah Wedgwood, F.R.S., F.S.A ; with the addition of notes by Thomas Windus, F.S.A. in juxtaposition to the most favoured theories, with his contrary opinions thereon.
- Additional Title(s):
Description of the Portland vase
- [London] : Printed by John Bowyer Nichols and John Gough Nichols; and published for the author by W. Pickering, Piccadilly; F. G. Moon, Finch Lane; Pelham Richardson, Cornhill and Smith and Elder, Cornhill, 1845.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 66 columns,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK4653.P7 W56 1845+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Josiah Wedgwood's original publication of the history and description of the vase and the citation of previous refernece had first appeared in 1790.
"Nine shillings"-Foot of t.p.
Includes bibliographical references (columns 105-106).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind- stamped black publisher's binding. Includes the title page of the catalog Sale of the Portland Museum in 1786 and a cutting showing item 4155 'The most celebrated antique vase, or Sepurchral urn, from the Barberini cabinet, at Rome ...' Bound with: New elucidation of the subjects on the celebrated Portland vase, formerly called the Barberini : and the sarcophagus, in which it was discovered / by Thomas Windus. [London] : Published for the author by W. Pickering, 1845.
- Subject Terms:
- Cameo glass.Moon, F. G. -- Publisher.Nichols, J. B. (John Bowyer), 1779-1863, -- Printer.Nichols, John Gough, 1806-1873, -- Printer.Pelham Richardson -- Publisher.Pickering, W. -- Publisher.Portland Vase.Smith & Elder -- Publisher.Vases.Wedgwood ware.Wedgwood, Josiah, 1730-1795.
YCBA Collections Search
Wedgwood, Josiah, 1730-1795, Reprint of a description of the Portland vase , 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.