Picturesque tour of the River Thames , 1828
- Picturesque tour of the River Thames : illustrated by twenty-four coloured views, a map, and vignettes, from original drawings taken on the spot / by William Westall and Samuel Owen.
- London : R. Ackermann, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- iv, , 169 p.,  leaves of plates [(1) folded] : ill., map ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.T2 P53 1828+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.T2 P53 1828+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatints by James Baily, Charles Bentley, J. Fielding, and Richard Gilson Reeve; after Samuel Owen and William Westall. Map engraved by J. & J. Neale.
Printed by L. Harrison, 5, Prince's-Street, Soho.
Originally issued in 6 parts.
Large paper copy.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 435
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 503
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Henley Bridge listed in List of plates of copy 2 but missing in both copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in half green morocco. All plates in two states: uncolored and colored. Bookplate: Mexborough. Copy 2 is in the original 6 parts, in printed wrappers. Plates are in colored state only. Title page, preface, contents, and list of plates bound in after plates and before text in part 6. Bookplate: W.H. Harding, Madingley.
- Plates: Folding map of the River Thames -- Source of the Thames -- Oxford -- Park Place -- Cullum Court -- Maidenhead Bridge -- Windsor Castle -- Eton College -- Beaumont Lodge -- Staines Bridge -- Hampton House -- Popel's Villa, Twickenham -- Twickenham -- View from Richmond Hill -- Richmond -- St. Margarets, Twickenham -- Sion House -- Suspension bridge, Hammersmith -- Westminster Bridge -- Water Bridge -- Southward Bridge -- The Custom House -- Greenwich Hospital -- Gravesend -- Tilbury Fort -- Sheerness, The Crow Stone.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Bridges -- England.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1828.Harding, W.A. -- Bookplate, Madingley.Harrison, L. -- Printer.Mexborough -- Bookplate.Rivers -- England.Thames River -- Description and travel.Thames Valley (England) -- Description and travel.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- 1828.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.