IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Kālidāsa, Śakoontalá, or, The lost ring , MDCCCLV 
Śakoontalá, or, The lost ring : an Indian drama / translated into English prose and verse, from the Sanskrit of Kālidāsa, by Monier Williams, M.A., Professor of Sanskrit at the East-India College, Haileybury, formerly Boden scholar in the University of Oxford.
- Additional Title(s):
- Hertford [England] : Printed and published by Stephen Austin, bookseller to the East-India College, MDCCCLV 
- Physical Description:
- xxv, , xxvii-xxviii, 227, , 24,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPK3796.S4 M66 1855Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- "The most lavish of the Oriental illuminated books was 'Sakoontala', printed and published by Austin in 1855. The borders on ordinary pages are printed in four colours; there is a title-page, at the end of the Introduction, of extraordinary richness, and numerous other decorations and borders printed in colours. The decoration was drawn, from manuscripts in the British Museum, by T. Sulman, Jun., and engraved by George Measom"--Cf. McLean.
The final "Notes" section has separate pagination and register.
With an added engraved t.p.
McLean, R. Victorian book design, p. 172
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's gilt-stamped green textured cloth; gilt edges; decorated endpapers with designs printed in gilt and blue ink.
- Subject Terms:
- Austin, Stephen -- Publisher.Sanskrit literature -- Drama.
- Chromoxylographs -- 1855.
Wood engravings -- 1855.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.