A description of the correct method of waltzing : the truly fashionable species of dancing. That, from the graceful and pleasing beauty of its movements, has obtained on ascendancy over every other department of that polite branch of education. Part I. Containing a correct explanatory description of the several movements and attitudes in German and French waltzing / by Thomas Wilson , dance-master, (from the King's Theatre, Opera House. Author of "The analysis of country dancing," "The treasures of Terpischore," and a variety of other works on music and dancing. Illustrated by engravings, from original designs and drawings, by J.H.A. Randall.
- London : Printed for the author, 2, Greville Street, Hatton Garden : Published by Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row, and sold by Manners and Miller, Edinburgh, and J. Cumming, Dublin, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- , lxi, -113,  leaves,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., music ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1761 .W5 1816Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Engravings by Davies and James Hopwood; after J.H.A. Randall.
No more published.
"A second edition of this work, identical in contents with the first, was published in 1817, under the title The correct method of German and French waltzing"--Cf. Beaumont.
The folding frontispiece shows couples waltzing. Lettered at top: "The Reference Plate".
Plates 4-7 are sheet music. Tunes adapted to the French Slow Waltz, the Sauteuse Waltz, the Jetté, and the German Waltz.
Derra de Moroda, F. Dance library, 2665
Beaumont, C. W. Bibliography of dancing, p. 195
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 15
List of subscribers: p. vii-xxiv.
Advertisement for works by Thomas Wilson:  p. at end.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 420
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Five-line advertisement slip tipped in preceding t.p. advertising the author's books.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Balls (Parties) -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Dance -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Sherwood, Neely and Jones -- Publisher.Stainer, John, Sir -- Bookplate.Waltz -- Study and teaching.Waltzes.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1816.
Engravings -- 1816.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Wilson, Thomas, dancing master, A description of the correct method of waltzing , 1816