A new elucidation of the subjects on the celebrated Portland vase : formerly called the Barberini : and the sarcophagus in which it was discovered / by Thomas Windus, F.S.A.
- Additional Title(s):
Thomas Windus F.S.A. on the Portland vase
- [London] : Printed by John Bowyer Nichols and John Gough Nichols; and published for the author by W. Pickering, Piccaddilly; F. G. Moon, Finch Land; Pelham Richardson, Cornhill; and Smith and Elder, Cornhill, 1845.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 106 columns,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK4653.P7 W56 1845+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A collection of notes on the subjects related to Windus's theories on the interpretation of the subject represented in the cameo reliefs of the vase. His "new elucidations" advance the hypothesis that the vase was the funerary urn of Galien the physician, and that the scenes represent his most famous diagnosis: the dangerously ill lady whose disorder was discovered to be her love for a rope dancer.
The plates include four illustrations of the vase, with the fond printed in a deep blue representing the blue-black opaque glass of the original.
Cover title: Thomas Windus F.S.A. on the Portland vase.
Lithography printed by Dean & Co., and T. & E. Gilks; after Thomas Windus.
Includes bibliographical references.
Engraved vignette on title page.
"Price £2"--Foot of t.p.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped dark blue cloth; rebacked. Has bound with: Reprint of a description of the Portland vase : formerly the Barberini : the manner of its formation, and the various opinions hitherto advanced on the subjects of the bas reliefs / by Josiah Wedgwood. [London] : Printed by John Bowyer Nichols and John Gough Nichols : Published by W. Pickering, 1845.
- Subject Terms:
- Dean & Co., -- Printer.Moon, F. G. -- Publisher.Nichols, J. B. (John Bowyer), 1779-1863, -- Printer.Nichols, John Gough, 1806-1873, -- Printer.Pelham Richardson -- Publisher.Pickering, W. -- Publisher.Portland Vase.Sarcophagi.Smith & Elder -- Publisher.T. & E. Gilks -- Printer.Vases, Roman.
- Lithographs -- 1845
Wood engravings -- 1845
YCBA Collections Search
Windus, Thomas, 1778-1854, A new elucidation of the subjects on the celebrated Portland vase , 1845
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.