A sketch of the origin and progress of steam navigation from authentic documents / by Bennet Woodcroft, professor of machinery in University College, London ; with illustrations.
- London : Taylor, Walton, and Maberly, booksellers and publishers to University College, Upper Gower Street, and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row, 1848.
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 140 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVM615 .W66 1848Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Lithographs by Charles F. Cheffins; after John C. Bourne and H. B. Barlow.
Printed by C. Whittingham.
"Appeared afterwards as a paper on 'Steam navigation' in the 'Transactions of the Society of arts,' 1852."--DNB.
Added engraved t.p. printed on vellum backed with cloth. Letterpress t.p. printed on paper backed with cloth.
DNB, LXII, p. 388
"List of patents, nearly all of which are for propelling vessels, and other documents relating to propelling, which the author has prepared for publication": p. -140.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 348
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half calf. Bookplate on inside front cover: Liverpool Library, Lyceum, Bold Street.
- Subject Terms:
- Liverpool Library -- Bookplate.Patents -- Great Britain.Steam-navigation -- History.Steamboats.Taylor, Walton, and Maberly -- Publisher.Transportation -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1848.
Lithographs -- 1848.
YCBA Collections Search
Woodcroft, Bennet, 1803-1879, A sketch of the origin and progress of steam navigation from authentic documents , 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.