Eccentric excursions, or, Literary & pictorial sketches of countenance, character & country in different parts of England & South Wales : interspersed with curious anecdotes, embellished with upwards of one hundred characteristic & illustrative prints / by G.M. Woodward.
- Additional Title(s):
Literary & pictorial sketches of countenance, character & country
Literary and pictorial sketches of countenance, character and country
- London : Published by Allen & West, 15, Paternoster Row, 1798.
- Physical Description:
- , iv, iv, 5-217,  p., , 100 [i.e. 99] leaves of plates (3 folded) : ill ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620.W9 E23 1798+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Engravings by Isaac Cruikshank; after George Woodward.
Title page is engraved. Date on title page altered from 1796 to 1798.
In this edition, the text sheets are printed from the same setting of type as the original 1796 edition; last line on p. 6 ends: Lavater studied.
The plates are dated between Aug. 1, 1796 and Apr. 15, 1797. For a description of an incomplete set of the plates, varying slightly, see George.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum, 8929-8976, 9115-9155
English short title catalogue, N1225
Lowndes, W.T. Bibliographer's manual of English literature (1871 edition), p. 1984
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary quarter calf and marbled boards. Inscribed: C. Coxwell. Arlington. Gloucestershire.
- Subject Terms:
- Allen & West -- Publisher.Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Coxwell, C. -- Autograph.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1798.Etching -- Specimens -- 1798.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, Eccentric excursions, or, Literary & pictorial sketches of countenance, character & country in different parts of England & South Wales , 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.