Collection choisie de desseins : tirés de pierres precieuses antiques, pour la plupart dans la possession de la grande et petite noblesse de ce royaume, gravés dans le goût de Rembrandt / par T. Worlidge, peintre.
- Additional Title(s):
Select collection of drawings from curious antique gems. French
- A Londres : Imprimé par Dryden Leach, pour M. Worlidge ... et J. Wicksteed, graveur de sçeaux a Bath, 1768.
- Physical Description:
- , 48 p.,  plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK5565 .W822 1768+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation of: A select collection of drawings from curious antique gems.
Frontispiece engraving by Worlidge, dated 1754, is a self-portrait depicting him posing as Rembrandt in period costume, in the act of engraving.
Engravings include both historical and mythological figures.
Includes list of subscribers.
Etchings were originally engraved in 1754 and issued for the first time in 1768. In this issue, two plates not described in the text, the unlabelled Hercules fighting the Nemean Lion and a Head of Medusa are added to the original set of 180 etchings. The etchings from the first edition, printed on small sheets, are joined here with the List of subscribers, Preface, and a Catalogue of the Gems.
ESTC (RLIN), T127405
- Subject Terms:
- Classical antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Gems, Classical -- Early works to 1800.History, Ancient -- Portraits -- Early works to 1800.Mythology, Classical -- Early works to 1800.Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, 1606-1669 -- Parodies, imitations, etc.
- Engravings -- 1768.
YCBA Collections Search
Worlidge, T. (Thomas), 1700-1766, Collection choisie de desseins , 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.