An academy for grown horsemen : containing the completest instructions, for walking, trotting, cantering, galloping, stumbling, and tumbling / illustrated with copper plates, and adorned with a portrait of the author / by Geoffrey Gambado, Esq. ; Riding Master, Master of the Horse, and Grand Equerry to the Doge of Venice.
- London : Printed for R. Ackermann 101, Strand, by J. Diggens, 14, St. Ann's Lane, 1st Jany. 1825.
- Physical Description:
- xxvii, , 30-75, , lxxx-xcix, , 102-201,  pages,  leaves of plates : color illustrations ; 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF301 .B86 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatints by Thomas Rowlandson; after Henry William Bunbury.
With an added engraved title page.
"Annals of horsemanship" (pages [lxxvii]-xcix, -201) has separate title page.
Date of publication from engraved title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original red paper covered boards, with printed spine label. Two armorial bookplates: Beauchamp C. Urquhart of Meldrum and Byth; R.N.H Moore Stevens. The latter covers the bookplate of C.F.G.R. Schwerdt.
- Subject Terms:
- Bland, T. -- Autograph.Caricatures and cartoons -- England.Horse sports -- Great Britain.Horsemanship -- Humor.Horsemanship -- Social aspects -- Great Britain.Horsemanship.Horses -- Pictorial works.Schwerdt, C. F. G. R. (Charles Francis George Richard), 1862-1939 -- Autograph.Stevens, R.N.H. Moore -- Bookplate.Urquhart, Beauchamp C. -- Bookplate.Wit and humor -- Great Britain.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811, An academy for grown horsemen , 1st Jany. 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.