Practical hints on decorative printing : with illustrations engraved on wood, and printed in colours at the type press / By William Savage.
- London : For the proprietor, by Messrs. Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Browne, T. Cadell, J. Booth [etc.], 1822.
- Physical Description:
- 6 p.l., [iii]-vi, , 118 p., 5 leaves. col. front., 51 plates (part. col.) on 47 leaves. 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE2805 S36 1822+ Copy 1 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE2805 S36 1822+ Copy 2 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is a large paper copy in which many of the plates have been mounted. In copy 1, the dedication leaf has taken the place of the frontispiece, which appears at the back with other plates, not all of which have been assembled in the correct order. In copy 1, the 3 leaves of poetry and related plates follow p. . Copy 2 is the Abbey copy.
BAC : Plates from defaced blocks appear at the end, with most printed on both sides of the sheet.
BAC : Front., added t.-p., and plates by J. Thompson, H. White, C. Nesbit, Branston, J. Lee, J. Martin, G. Bonner, W.C. Walker, G. Thurston, W. Hughes, and J. Byfield; after John Thurston, J.P. Neale, R. Thomson, T. Moule, A.W. Callcott, J. Varley, W. Hunt, W.M. Craig, T. Willement, and W.H. Brooke; the arms of Earl Spencer drawn at the Heralds College and engraved by J. Berryman.
BAC : "Address" (6th preliminary leaf) dated 1823.
BAC : Colored head-pieces; tail-pieces.
BEIN X202 +822s: with 5 p.l., 49 plates and 36 cm.; some leaves at end mutilated; one plate wanting.
BEIN X202 822Sb: Another issue (27 cm.) Armorial bookplate of John Temple. Manuscript note on slip pasted to lining paper in back: "No. 105 Willm. Savage." Accompanied by invoice from Bernard Quaritch for W.M. Ivins, dated 4th December 1918; and title page: A pipe of Dutch Kanaster, or, Six days in Holland, 1851 & 1860.
Added title-page in colors.
Includes a list of subscribers.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 233
- Subject Terms:
- Color printing.Savage, William, 1770-1843 -- Autograph.Temple, John -- Bookplate.Wood-engraving.
- Color wood engravings.
Subscription lists (Publishing)
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Savage, William, 1770-1843, Practical hints on decorative printing , 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.