Anacreon / done into English out of the original Greek by Abraham Cowley and S.B. 1683 ; newly embellished with copperplate engravings by Stephen Gooden.
- Additional Title(s):
- Soho : The Nonesuch Press, 30 Gerrard Street, W., 1923.
- Physical Description:
-  pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA3865 .E5 1923+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Poems incorrectly attributed to Anacreon.
Translated by Francis Willis, Abraham Cowley, John Oldham, and Thomas Wood. See: Halkett & Laing (2nd ed.).
Title page is engraved.
"This book is reprinted, with some alterations in the spelling and punctuation, from the edition of 1683. It contains also seven original engravings on copper designed and executed by Stephen Gooden. The edition is limited to 725 copies for sale in England and America."--Colophon.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 12
BEIN Ij C839 683Ag: No. 215. Bookplate of R.C. Leffingwell. Dust jacket.
AOB Z239.N6 A5 1923 (LC): "File copy of V.M., F.M. and D.G.", signed by Stephen Gooden. Presentation inscription: "Newly inscribed for Duncan Andrews by Francis Mgynell, 9 July 1970".
AOB has copy" "This is out of series", signed by Stephen Gooden (Copy 3)
AOB has copy" "This is out of series", signed by Stephen Gooden.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 368 of 725. Bound in quarter parchment and gold boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Anacreon -- Parodies, imitations, etc.English poetry -- Translations from Greek.Gooden, Stephen, 1892-1955 -- Autograph.Greek poetry -- Translations into English.Leffingwell, R. C. (Russell Cornell), 1878-1960 -- Bookplate.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing)
Engravings -- 1923.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.