Historical descriptions of new and elegant picturesque views of the antiquities of England and Wales : being a grand copper-plate repository of elegance, taste, and entertainment : containing a new and complete collection of superb views of all the most remarkable ruins and antient buildings, such as abbeys, castles, monasteries, priories ... : accompanied by elegant letter-press descriptions ... a complete set of county-maps ... together with an authentic account of Doomsday-Book ... / published under the inspection of Henry Boswell ... assisted by Robert Hamilton ... and other ingenious gentlemen ...
- London : Printed for Alex. Hogg, at the King's-Arms, No. 16, Paternoster-Row, and sold by all booksellers, printsellers, and news-carriers, in town and country, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (various pagings) : ill. ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA620 .H57 1786+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2021 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Elizabeth LanghorneView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Henry Boswell is probably a pseudonym. Cf. ESTC.
Engravings by (W.P.?) Carey, M. Coote, J. Dadley, John Eastgate, Hawkins, J. Hogg, John Lodge, (Strickland?) Lowry, Neigel, Noble, Page, John Peltro, Robert Pollard, John Record, George Richardson, Henry Roberts, J. Simpson, Samuel Sparrow, C. Taylor, Thomas Thornton, John Walker, William Walker, Warren, and J.G. Wooding; after T.F. Burney, John Hamilton, and Samuel Wale.
Maps engraved by Thomas Conder; some drawn by Thomas Kitchen.
Published in 100 parts, unpaginated, and 11 additional parts, numbered 16-25 and 27, signed A-L and paginated 1-42, entitled 'A general history of antient castles, forts, &c.', together with a preface, list of subscribers, and a list of plates.
Frontispiece dated 1786.
Contains 50 maps. Those of the counties of England, except Yorkshire, are by Thomas Kitchin and originally appeared in the London Magazine from 1747-1760. They are without imprints and all evidence of their connection with the magazine has been removed. Cf. Chubb.
Includes list of the plates, Directions to the binder, and List of subscribers at end.
Many of the engraved illustrations are printed two to a page.
English short title catalogue, T122443
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1508
Chubb T. Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, CCLVII
Lowndes, W.T. Bibliographer's manual of English literature (1871 edition), v. 1, 228
BAC: British Art Center DA620 .H57 1786+ copy is incomplete: lacks 20 of the 50 maps cited in Chubb. Lacks the index of plates, directions to the binder and list of subscribers. The plates are bound in at the end. Armorial bookplates: George H. Lynch; Mexborough. Bound in later three quarter brown morocco.
BAC: British Art Center Folio A 2021 2 copy is incomplete: lacks maps, index of plates, directions to the binder, and list of subscribers. Bound in contemporary red cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Coins, English -- Early works to 1800.England -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Antiquities -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Historic buildings -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Historic buildings -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Hogg, Alex. -- Publisher.Lynch, George H. -- Bookplate.Mexborough -- Bookplate.Seals (Numismatics) -- Early works to 1800.Wales -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1786.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Historical descriptions of new and elegant picturesque views of the antiquities of England and Wales , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.