The Greek portrait : an anthology of English verse translations from the Greek poets (Homer to Meleager) with the corresponding Greek text / illustrated by Mariette Lydis ; edited by George Rostrevor Hamilton.
- London : The Nonesuch Press, 1934.
- Physical Description:
- 235,  pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA3433 .H36 1934+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Translations by various authors.
"This edition consists of 425 copies on Pannekoek paper in the Fleischmann Greek and Lutetia types for sale in England by the Nonesuch Press and in the United States by Random House. Francis Meynell designed it and J. van Krimpen printed and made it in Holland at the press of Enschedé en Zonen, Haarlem."--Colophon.
Text in Greek and English.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 99
BEIN Ge6 05: ""This is number 80." In case.
SML,AOB: In case.
BAC: British Art Center copy is numbers 347 of 425. Bound in cream cloth with illustrations of Apollo printed in blue on front cover and of Artemis on the back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- English poetry -- Translations from Greek.Greek poetry -- Translations into English.Greek poetry, Hellenistic.Private press books -- England -- London -- 1934.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
YCBA Collections Search
Hamilton, G. Rostrevor (George Rostrevor), 1888-1967, The Greek portrait , 1934
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.