Homer : The Iliad / Pope.
- Additional Title(s):
Iliad. English. (Pope)
- London : The Nonesuch Press, MCMXXXI 
- Physical Description:
- , 926,  pages ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA4025.A1 P67 1931+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The Greek text of this edition is, by permission of the delegates of the Oxford University Press, that of the Oxford classical texts. The English is printed from the first (1715) edition of Pope's Iliad. The ornaments have been designed, engraved and composed by and under the supervision of Rudolf Koch for this edition. It has been printed and made in Holland by Johannes Enschedé en Zonen, Haarlem, in the Greek type of J. van Krimpen and monotype Cochin. There are 925 copies for sale in England, and 525 copies for sale in the United States by Random House."--Colophon.
Greek and English on facing pages.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 72
Issued in case.
"On first looking into Pope's Homer": signed F.M., (1 l inserted)
BEIN Ik P810 +715s 1: This is number 846.
BAC: British Art Center copy is numbers 327 of 1450. Bound in brown morocco. Lacks slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Achilles (Mythological character) -- Poetry.Epic poetry, Greek -- Translations into English.Homer -- Translations into English.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.