Harper, Charles G. (Charles George), 1863-1943, English pen artists of to-day , 1892
- English pen artists of to-day : examples of their work, with some criticisms and appreciations / by Charles G. Harper.
- New York : Macmillan and Co., 1892.
Edinburgh : Printed by R. & R. Clark, 
- Physical Description:
- , xxii, 300 pages : illustrations ; 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC978 .H37 1892+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The edition of this book is limited to 775 copies, of which 250 are reserved for sale in America. The book will, under no circumstances, be reprinted in any form. Twenty-five numbered and signed copies only are issued in a special form, the illustrations hand printed upon Japanese paper and mounted. The binding of these copies is in half morocco, and the price ten guineas net."--Page .
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in beige cloth covered boards. Inscription: To my friend George F. Miles from Edward Hyde. April 11/35.
- Introductory sketch -- The fields and limitations of pen drawing -- American and Continental influences upon English pen drawing -- Style and Mannerism -- Artists: Frederick Barnard -- Robert Barnes -- Gordon Browne -- Alfred Bryan -- J. Yates Carrington -- A. Chantrey Corbould -- Decorative artists: Walter Crane -- Louis Davis -- Herbert P. Horne -- Selwyn Image -- G. Wooliscroft Rhead -- Henry Ryland -- Frederick Sandys -- Heywood Sumner -- T. Raffles Davison -- M.E. Edwards (Mrs. Staples) A. Forestier -- G. Gordon Fraser -- John Fulleylove -- Sir John Gilbert, R.A. -- Charles Green -- Maurice Grieffenhagen -- Dudley Hardy -- A.J. Marks -- Phil May -- A.J. Fairfax Muckley -- Alfred Parsons -- J. Bernard Partridge -- Artists of Pick-me-up: L. Raven-Hill -- Leslie Wilson -- E.W. Wilson -- Punch artists: Harry Furniss -- Charles Keene -- George du Maurier -- Linley Sambourne -- Herbert Railton and his followers -- William Rainey -- Sir George Reid, P.R.S.A. -- Charles Ricketts -- Walter Sickert -- David Small -- J.F. Sullivan -- Hugh Thomson -- F.H. Townsend -- R. Caton Woodville -- W.L. Wyllie, A.R.A. -- Pen drawing as applied to newspaper illustration -- Materials for, and the making of, pen drawings -- Some reproductive processes -- Index.
- Subject Terms:
- Hyde, Edward -- Pres. insc. to George F. Miles, 1935 April 11.Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Illustrators -- England.Miles, George F. -- Pres. insc. from Edward Hyde, 1935 April 11.Pen drawing.R.&R. Clarke -- Printer.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1892.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.