Badcock, John, active 1816-1830, Sportsman's slang , 1825
- Sportsman's slang : a new dictionary of terms used in affairs of the turf, the ring, the chase, the pit, of bon-ton, and the varieties of life : forming the completest and most authentic lexicon balatronicum hitherto offered to the notice of the sporting world : for elucidating words and phrases that are necessarily, or purposely, rendered cramp, mutative, and unintelligible, outside their respective spheres : interspersed with anecdotes and whimsies, with tart quotations, and rum-ones, with examples, proofs and monitory precepts useful and proper for novices, flats, and yokels / by Jon Bee, Esq. ...
- Editio altera.
- London : Printed by W. Lewis, 21, Finch-Lane, Cornhill, for the author, 1825.
[London] : Sold by T. Hughes, 35, Ludgate-Street : J. Walker, 44, Paternoster-Row : Hal Fores, 16, Panton-Street : and at 4, Long-Lane, Smithfield, 
- Physical Description:
- , xvi, 222 [that is 202] pages,  leaves of plates ( folded) : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV567 .B33 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Numbers 28-47 omitted from the paging.
Includes publisher's advertisement at foot of page 222.
Frontispiece ("Life, in its varieties") is an aquatint after T.J. Vandergucht.
Hartley, R.A. Boxing books, 1115
BEIN: From the collection of Herbert B. Lazarus; bound with: Andrewes, George. Dictionary of the slang and cant languages. London, 1809.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later brown quarter calf and maroon cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Boxing -- Slang.Cant -- Dictionaries.English language -- Slang -- Dictionaries.Lazarus, Herbert B. -- Ownership.Lewis, William -- Printer.Sports -- England -- Slang.Swindlers and swindling -- Slang -- Dictionaries.
- Publishers' advertisements.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Wood engravings -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.