The Gentleman's magazine.
- Former Title(s):
Gentleman's magazine; or, Monthly intelligencer 1731-35.
Gentleman's magazine: and historical chronicle 1736-1833.
Gentleman's magazine (caption title Feb. 1850-June 1856: The Gentleman's magazine and historical review) Jan. 1834-June 1856.
Gentleman's magazine and historical review July 1856-May 1868.
- London : Printed by John Nichols [etc.], 1731-1907.
- Physical Description:
- v. [plates (part col.) ports., maps (part fold.) facsims. 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSerials 11 (Octavo, Range 31)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN 2011 S21: Includes mixed editions: Jan.-Feb.=6th ed.; Mar.=no ed. statement; Apr.=3rd ed.; May=new ed.; June=no ed. statement; July=5th ed.; Aug.-Oct.=no ed. statement; Nov.=4th ed., printed 1741; Dec.=no ed. statement: 1.
BEIN 2011 S21: Includes mixed editions: Feb.=5th ed.; all others have no ed. statement: 3.
BEIN 2011 S21: Autograph: Charles Hartley M.A., Waveney House, Beccles, 1904: 1-3, 9-10, 18.
BEIN 2011 S21: Autographs: Dav'd Bowher [?], December 20th, anno Domini 1787; Joseph Foster, June 16 [?]
BEIN 2011 S21: Imperfect, p. 381-382 and 483-486 wanting; Bookplate: Hall Park McCullough; Autograph: Mary Gaskell: 29.
ELIZ 025: Ms. annotation by Edmond Malone: 1763:Apr.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: 1731-1818 and 1820-1858 only. British Art Center also has the General index and obituary volume for 1731-1818.
Yale medical historical volumes the gift of Dr. John Fulton.
Yale medical historical copy 2 of Volume 64, part 2 (1794) is the gift of M. Felix Freshwater M.D. 1972, 2016.
Vol. numbers irregular: v. 53-103 are each in 2 pts. and are later counted as v. 53-154; v. 155-199 called new ser., v.1-45; v. 200 omitted in numbering; v. 201-219 called also new ser., v. 1-19; v. 220-224 called also new ser., v.1-5; v. 225-241 called " entirely" new ser., v. 1-17; v. 242-248 called v. 240-246.
"Edited by Sylvanus Urban, gentleman."
Editors: 1731-1754, Edward Cave (parliamentary editor, 1740-1744, Samuel Johnson). -- 1754-1778, David Henry (1754-1766, with Richard Cave). -- 1778-1792, David Henry, John Nichols. -- 1792-1826, John Nichols. -- 1826-1833, J. B. Nichols and others. -- 1834-1850, John Mitford. -- 1851-1856, J. G. Nichols. -- 1856-1865, J. H. Parker. -- 1868-1873, Joseph Hatton. -- 1874-1905, Joseph Knight and others. -- 1906-1907? A. H. Bullen.
Beinecke Library copy of v. 23 (1753) of the cumulative ed. has suppl. titled "Of the order of baronets" (20 p.,  leaves of plates).
- Subject Terms:
- Bowher, David, -- Autograph.Foster, Joseph -- Autograph.Gaskell, Mary -- Autograph.Hartley, Charles -- Autograph.Literature.Malone, Edmond, 1741-1812 -- Ms. notes.McCullough, Hall Park, 1872-1966 -- Bookplate.Periodicals -- England.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.