The costume of Hindostan : elucidated by sixty coloured engravings / with descriptions in English and French, taken in the years 1798 and 1799 by Balt. Solvyns, of Calcutta.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes de l'Indostan, dessinés dans l'Inde en 1798 et 1799, et représentés en soixante planches enluminées
- London : Published by Edward Orme ... 59, New Bond Street, 1807.
[London] : Printed by J. Hayes, Dartmouth-Street, Westminster
- Physical Description:
-  pages, 60 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 54Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Date of publication appears after manufacturer information.
Lithographed by Scott and J. Vivares, after Balt. Solvyns.
The plates were previously published in the author's A collection of two hundred and fifty coloured etchings descriptive of the manners, customs, and dresses of the Hindoos. Calcutta, 1796-99. cf. R. Colas, Bibl. générale du costume, col. 983.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 429
BAC Folio A 2022 54: The Abbey copy. Plates are hand-colored. Bound in publisher's brown paper boards; paper title label on front cover cut to the outline of a stipple engraved design of an elephant.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- India -- 18th century.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Solvyns, Balt. (Balthazar), 1760-1824, The costume of Hindostan , 1807