The iconography of Manhattan Island, 1498-1909, compiled from original sovrces and illvstrated by photo-intaglio reprodvctions of important maps, plans, views and docvments in pvblic and private collections, by I. N. Phelps Stokes.
- New York, R. H. Dodd, 1915-28.
- Physical Description:
- 6 v. fronts. (part col.,part double) illus., plates (part col., part fold., part double) incl. ports., maps, plans, facsims. 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAmVa 1886Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Vol. 2 by C. F.Wieder and Stokes.
Engraved t.-p., with ornamental border: engraved head and tail pieces. "Most of the head-bands and tail-pieces were engraved ... by Mr. Sidney L. Smith from designs composed by the author." Others by Walter M. Aikman.
"Of this book three hundred and sixty copies have been printed on English hand-made paper [4-6 on Holland hand-made paper] and forty-two on Japanese vellum." This copy on English and Holland hand-made paper.
Vol. 2 has additional note: Twenty-five copies of parts I, II, and III have been printed for presentation to foreign libraries.
Bibliography by V. H. Paltsits.
BAC: British Art Center copy: 6 vols. Original chemical calf, in slip-case.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration.America -- Maps -- Bibliography.America -- Maps, Early.American newspapers -- New York (State) -- New York -- Bibliography.Cartography -- America -- History.Havemeyer, Henry Osborne, 1876- -- Ownership (BEIN 1977 +53)New York (N.Y.) -- Bibliography.New York (N.Y.) -- History.New York (N.Y.) -- Maps.New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works.Rosenbloom, Charles J. -- Bookplate (BEIN 1977 +53)
YCBA Collections Search
Stokes, I. N. Phelps (Isaac Newton Phelps), 1867-1944, The iconography of Manhattan Island, 1498-1909,, 1915-28
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.