Sparrow, Walter Shaw, 1862-1940, Advertising and British art , 1924
- Advertising and British art : an introduction to a vast subject /, by Walter Shaw Sparrow ; with thirty-six illustrations in colour, a hundred and twenty-one half-tone prints and twenty-seven line blocks in the text.
- London : John Lane, The Bodley Head Limited, Vigo Street W., 1924.
London ; and Beccles : Made and printed in Great Britain by William Clowes and Sons, Limited, 1924.
- Physical Description:
- , vi-xvii, , 189, , 6 pages,  pages of plates : color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNC1807 G7 S62 (LC)+ OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1807.G7 S62 1924+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Henry S. Hacker, Yale BA 1965Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Date of publication and printer's information from title page verso.
"Illustrations printed by Edmund Evans, Ltd., London, E."--Title page verso.
Publisher's advertisements: 6 pages at end.
Includes work by Gerald Spencer Pryse, Frank Newbould, Edward McKnight Kauffer, Fred Taylor, Frank Brangwyn, and many others.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original quarter tan buckram with decorated paper covered boards.
- Foreword -- Prefatory. Custom versus improvement -- Ideas, principles, and methods. Varieties of advertising ; Reform and its foes ; Designers and their clients ; What is a poster? -- Art and life in posters and press drawings. Sports, games, and country life ; Steamship hotels and the sea ; The seaside ; Posters and the home: pure landscapes ; Architecture and advertising ; Figure subjects -- and finale -- Appendix: The reform movement in advertising: a selection of artists and their principal clients alphabetical lists. The underground railways, London, 1913-1924 ; The London & North-Eastern Railway, 1922-1924 ; The London, Midland & Scottish Railway, 1924 ; The Southern Railway ; The L.C.C. Tramways ; Shipping companies and travel agencies ; A selection of other advertisers with the artists who have aided them.
- Subject Terms:
- Advertising -- Great Britain.Advertising layout and typography.Art and industry.Commercial art -- England.Posters -- England.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1924.