Portraits of the principal female characters in the Waverley novels : to which are added landscape illustrations of The Highland widow, Anne of Geierstein, Fair maid of Perth, Castle dangerous.
- London : Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, 1833.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5329 .P6 1833View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1723 .F56 1834View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates engraved by: James Thomson, Henry R. Cook, George Henry Adcock, John Cochran, Samuel Freeman, Edward Scriven, Charles George Lewis, Henry Hoppner Meyer, J. Jeavons, George Hollis, James Baylie Allen, William Henry Egleton, and John Le Keux; after Alfred Edward Chalon, Charles Robert Leslie, Henry Perronet Briggs, James Inskipp, Sir William Boxall, Edmund Thomas Parris, George Cattermole, Alexander Chisholm, Robert Edmonston, Frank Stone, Solomon Alexander Hart, Edward Prentis, Robert Faulkner, Henry Howard, Edwin Henry Landseer, John William Wright, Federico Zuccari, Margaret Sarah Carpenter, Samuel John Stump, William Etty, Simon Jacques Rochard, William Mulready, Eliza Sharpe, Anthony Vandyke Copley Fielding, Charles Landseer, George Fennel Robson, George Barret, and David Roberts.
Printed by Manning and Smithson, 4, London House Yard.
Each plate accompanied by leaf with descriptive letterpress.
Plates dated 1832-1833.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. The NE1723 .F56 1839 copy is incomplete; comprises vol. 3 only. Contains 16 of a possible 40 leaves of plates. Interleaved with blank pages. Bound with: Finden's Gallery of the graces (London : C. Tilt, 1834).
- Subject Terms:
- Manning and Smithson -- Printer.Robinson, Sydney John -- Bookplate.Scott, Walter, 1771-1832. Waverley novels -- Illustrations.Tilt, Charles, 1797-1861 -- PublisherWomen -- Portraits.Women in art.Women in literature.
- Steel engravings -- 1833.
YCBA Collections Search
Portraits of the principal female characters in the Waverley novels , 1833
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.