Leech, John, 1817-1864, Portraits of children of the mobility , 1841
- Portraits of children of the mobility / drawn from nature by J. Leech ; with memoirs and characteristic sketches by the author of "The comic English grammar," etc.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Children of the mobility
- London : Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street, 1841.
- Physical Description:
- , 47,  p., 8 leaves of plates : ill. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.L44 P67 1841+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, on publisher's gilt-stamped cloth binding: Children of the mobility.
Percival Leigh is the author of "The comic English grammar".
The text by Percival Leigh is a parody on "The children of the nobility" published some time previously. Cf. Frith.
Printed by Samuel Bentley, Bangor House, Shoe Lane.
Some of the plates printed by J.R. Jobbins.
Frith, W.P. John Leech, p. 78
- Subject Terms:
- Bentley, Richard -- Publisher.Bentley, Samuel -- PrinterCaricatures and cartoons -- Social aspects.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Jobbins, J. R. -- Printer.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1841.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.Poor -- England -- London -- Portraits.Satire, English.Working class -- England -- London -- Portraits.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.