Mackenzie, George Steuart, Sir, 1780-1848, Travels in the island of Iceland , 1811
- Travels in the island of Iceland : during the summer of the year MDCCCX / by Sir George Steuart Mackenzie, Baronet ; Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, &c. &c. &c.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Travels in Iceland
- Edinburgh : Printed by Thomas Allan and Company, for Archibald Constable and Company ; 1811.
London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Cadell & Davies, William Miller, John Murray, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, , 491,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDL312 .M14 1811+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDL312 .M14 1811+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Half-title: Travels in Iceland.
Spine title, on publisher's printed label: Mackenzie's travels in Iceland.
Aquatint engravings by Robert Scott, J. Clark, and Edward Mitchell; after George Steuart Mackenzie, Sir Henry Holland, and Richard Bright.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 160
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 313
Errata: p.  preliminary paging.
Directions to the binder:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Lacks half-title. Bound in gilt-tooled calf. Armorial bookplate: George Round Esq. Copy 2 bound in original boards, with publisher's printed spine label. Armorial bookplate: William Thompson.
- Preliminary dissertation on the history and literature of Iceland, by Dr. Holland -- Journal of the first excursion -- Journal of the second excursion -- Journal of the third excursion -- Rural affairs -- Present state of education and literature, by Dr. Holland -- On the government, laws and religion, by Dr. Holland -- State of commerce -- Zoology, and botany, By Mr. Bright -- Mineralogy -- Mineral waters -- Apendix No. I -- On the diseases of Icelanders, by Dr. Holland -- II. Icelandic flora -- III. Catalogue of minerals -- IV. Miscellaneous articles connected with history and literature -- V. Music -- VI. Register of the weather -- VII. Remarks occasioned by the Honourable Mr Bennet's Account of the mineralogy of the island of Madeira -- Icelandic revolution, 1809.
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell & Davies -- Publisher.Constable, Archibald, 1774-1827, -- Publisher.Costumes -- Iceland.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1811.Iceland -- Description and travel.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, -- Publisher.Miller, William -- Publisher.Murray, John -- Publisher.Natural history -- Iceland.Round, George -- Bookplate.T. Allan and company, -- Printer.Thompson, William -- Bookplate.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1811.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.