Picturesque sketches of some of the finest landscape and coast scenery of Ireland / from drawings by George Petrie, A. Nicholl and H. O'Neill. Vol. 1.
- Dublin : William Frederick Wakeman; 1835.
London : Ackermann and Company : 1835.
- Physical Description:
- 48 p,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA975 .P48 1835+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatints by Charles Hunt, George Hunt, John Harris, Newton Fielding, and S.G. Hughes; after Andres Nicholl, Henry O'Neill, and George Petrie.
"A second volume was not issued. The engraved numbering of eleven of the first twelve plates seems to point to original or intended publication in parts, but this may not have been continued, as plates 13 to 24 bear no signs of such numbering"--Abbey.
Printed by P.D. Hardy, Cecilia-Street, Dublin.
British Art Center copy is bound in embossed cloth, signed: Westley [i.e. Francis Westley], London. The design is that featured in Eleanore Jamieson's English embossed bindings, 1825-1850, entry no. 29, with the addition of several framing elements at the perimeter.
With a half title page.
Jamieson, E. English embossed bindings, 1825-1850, 29
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 465
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Has hand-colored plates. Bound in publisher's contemporary embossed cloth, designed by Francis Westley.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann and Company -- Publisher.Architecture, Domestic -- Ireland.Hardy, P.D. -- Printer.Hodgson, Boys, and Graves -- Publisher.Ireland -- Description and travel.Landscape -- Ireland.Tilt, Charles -- Publisher.William Frederick Wakeman -- Publisher.
- Embossed cloth bindings (Binding)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
- Benandanar, & the Stack, Port Moon Co. Antrim
- Lower Lake, Killarney
- The Four Courts, Kingston Cave, Co. Tipperary
- The Meeting of the Water, Co. Wicklow
- Waterfall in the Devil's Glen, Co. Wicklow
- Doon Point, Island of Rathlin
- Scene in the Dargle, Co. Wicklow
- Kenbaan Castle, Co. Antrim
- Comeen-Duff or Black Valley, Killarney
- Waterfall, Powerscourt
- Pike of the Gap of Dunlow, Killarney
- Castle Howard
- Googan Barra, Co. of Cork
- Rendonegan Lake
- Port Coon Cave, Co. Antrim --Ess-Waterfall, Glen Malure
- Twelve Pins, Connemara
- Glen of the Downs
- The Second Meeting of the Waters
- Vale of Ovoca
- Sugar-Loaf Hills, Co. Wicklow
- Waterfall at Glenmancanass, Co. Wicklow
- New Bridge, Vale of Ovoca, Co. Wicklow
- Shelton Abbey, Co. Wicklow.