Taylor, William B. Sarsfield (William Benjamin Sarsfield), 1781-1850, History of the University of Dublin , [1819-1820]
History of the University of Dublin / by W.B. Taylor.
- [London] : [W.B.Taylor], [1819-1820]
- Physical Description:
- 3 parts (72 p.,  leaves of plates) : col. ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF905.T2 T39 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "It is proposed to publish by subscription, in twelve numbers, making one volume quarto, The history of the University of Dublin; illustrated by thirty colored plates, engraved by eminent artists, from drawings made upon the spot, by the author, W.B. Taylor; giving an accurate representation of the highly interesting and classic scenery of Trinity College; with interior and external views of its splendid buildings, magnificent library, museum, medical school, &c. Conveying also a description of the noble park and gardens attached to that venerable seat of learning, as well as some idea of the character of the metropolis, of which it forms so superb an ornament."--Advertisement on back cover of parts 1-3. Intended as a work in 12 parts; only 3 parts and 9 of the projected colored plates were published.
Title page not issued. Title from printed wrappers of the parts.
Etchings by B. Del Sarto; after W.B. Taylor. Colored aquatints by J. Bluck and Robert Havell; after W.B. Taylor.
Imprint information from plates.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 475
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 480
List of subscribers: tipped in at beginning of part 3.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Three parts bound in original light brown engraved wrappers; back of wrapper to part 1 mutilatedPart 3 lettered at foot: London: Published by R. Jennings, No. 2 Poultry, 1820. All three parts bear the bookseller's ticket of C.P. Archer 34, Dame Street, Dublin.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Ireland -- Dublin.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1819.Jennings, R. -- Publisher.Taylor, W.B. -- Publisher.Trinity College (Dublin, Ireland) -- History.Universities and colleges -- Ireland -- Dublin -- History.
- Subscribers' lists.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
- Plates: College Park, Trinity College, Dublin
- N.E. View of the College Observatory, at Dunsinok Co. Dublin
- S.W. View of the library, Trinity College, Dublin
- Fellow of T.C.D.
- The Grand Square. T.C.D. at the quarterly examination
- Museum of T.C.D.
- A Fellow Commoner of T.C.D.
- View of the dining hall, etc.
- Front of Trinity College, Dublin.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.