The whole art of dress, or, The road to elegance and fashion, at the enormous saving of thirty per cent!!! : being a treatise upon that essential and much-cultivated requisite of the present day, gentlemen's costume : explaining and clearly defining, by a series of beautifully engraved illustrations, the most becoming assortment of colours and style of dress and undress, in all their varieties; suited to different ages and complexions, so as to render the human figure most symmetrical and imposing to the eye : also, directions in the purchase of all kinds of wearing apparel: accompanied by hints for the toilette, containing a few valuable and original recipes; likewise, some advice to the improvement of defects in the person and carriage : together with a dissertation on uniform in general, and the selection of fancy dress / by a cavalry officer.
- Additional Title(s):
Whole art of dress
Road to elegance and fashion, at the enormous saving of thirty per cent!!!
- London : Effingham Wilson, Royal Exchange, 1830.
- Physical Description:
- vii, , 100 p., 5 [i.e. 6] leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .C35 1830Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Lithographs by Charles Ingrey.
Printed by C. Whiting, Beaufort House, Strand.
Plate 2 is on 2 consecutive leaves, one numbered "Pl. 2", the other "Pl. 2 cont."
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 3075
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Nh40
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 422
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original pictorial boards. In green morocco-style slip case with gilt armorial center stamp with motto "Deus Nobiscum Quis Contra".
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Fashion -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Men's clothing -- Great Britain.Whiting, C. -- Printer.Wilson, E. -- Publisher.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
Lithographs -- 1830.
YCBA Collections Search
Cavalry officer, The whole art of dress, or, The road to elegance and fashion, at the enormous saving of thirty per cent!!! , 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.