A picturesque tour through Holland, Brabant, and part of France : made in the autumn of 1789 / by Samuel Ireland ; author of the Histories and picturesque scenery of the Rivers Thames, Medway, and Avon, and graphic illustrations of Hogarth.
- Second edition / with additions; and an entire new set of copper-plates in aqua-tinta, from drawings made on the spot.
- London : Printed for T. Egerton, Whitehall; Whites, Fleet-Street; Robson, Hookham & Carpenter, and Faulder, Bond-Street; Leigh and Sotheby, York-Street, Covent-Garden; Payne, Mews Gate; Sewell, Cornhill; and G. Sale, Strand, 1796.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917 .I74 1796+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917 .I74 1796+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatints by Samuel Ireland and Cornelius Apostool.
Added engraved title page has imprint: London: Feb. 1st 1795, printed for T.& I. Egerton.
Samuel Ireland's original watercolors for the present work are in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (bound with a copy of the printed edition: D917 .I74 1796+ Copy 2)
English short title catalogue, T105656
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 185
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt- and blind-tooled calf, with marbled edges. Plates are uncolored. Bookplate: Frederick Seymour Clarke. Imprint on added engraved title page trimmed.
BAC: British Art Center has copy 2 is a large paper copy (33 cm.), bound in gilt-tooled calf. Gilt edges. Plates are uncolored. Bound adjacent to each plate is Ireland's original watercolor design for the same illustration. The watercolors are mounted on to larger paper (of the same size of the printed sheets). The set of watercolors has been cataloged separately.
- Subject Terms:
- Belgium -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Brabant (Belgium) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Clarke, Frederick Seymour -- BookplateEgerton, T. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1796.France -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Leigh and Sotheby -- Publisher.Netherlands -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Payne -- Publisher.Robson, Hookham & Carpenter, and Faulder -- Publisher.Sewell -- Publisher.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1796.Whites -- Publisher.
- Travel literature.
Aquatints -- 1796.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1796.
YCBA Collections Search
Ireland, Samuel, -1800, A picturesque tour through Holland, Brabant, and part of France , 1796
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.